Monitor > SNMP Sets
- This page applies to the following products: On Premises, Kaseya Advanced, Kaseya Essentials, IT Center
SNMP Sets adds, imports or modifies a SNMP set. A SNMP set is a set of MIB objects used to monitor the performance of SNMP enabled network devices. The SNMP protocol is used because an agent cannot be installed on the device. You can assign alarm thresholds to any performance object in a SNMP set. If you apply the SNMP set to a device, you can be notified if the alarm threshold is exceeded. The following methods can be used to configure and assign SNMP sets to machine IDs.
- SNMP quick sets - Creates and assigns a device-specific SNMP set based on the objects discovered on that device during a LAN Watch. SNMP quick sets are the easiest method of implementing SNMP monitoring on a device.
- SNMP standard sets - These are usually generic SNMP sets that are maintained and applied to multiple devices. A quick set, once created, can be maintained as a standard set.
- SNMP individualized sets - This is a standard SNMP set that is applied to an individual device and then customized manually.
- SNMP auto learn - This is a standard SNMP set that is applied to an individual device and then adjusted automatically using auto learn.
- SNMP types - This is a method of assigning standard SNMP sets to devices automatically, based on the SNMP type determined during a LAN Watch.
Typically the following procedure is used to configure and apply SNMP sets to devices.
- Discover SNMP devices using Monitor > LAN Watch.
- Assign SNMP sets to discovered devices using Monitor > Assign SNMP. This can include quick, standard, individualized or auto learn SNMP sets.
- Display SNMP alarms using Monitor > SNMP Log or Dashboard List.
The following additional SNMP functions are available and can be used in any order.
- Optionally review the list of all imported SNMP objects using Monitor > Monitor Lists.
- Optionally maintain SNMP sets using Monitor > SNMP Sets.
- Optionally add an SNMP object using Monitor > Add SNMP Object.
- Optionally assign a SNMP type to an SNMP device manually using Monitor > Set SNMP Type.
- Optionally write values to SNMP devices using Monitor > Set SNMP Values.
Note: Certain command line functions from the Net-SNMP suite of applications are used to implement SNMP v1 and SNMP v2c retrieval of information from SNMP capable devices in accordance with all pertinent .
Monitoring using Macintosh OSX
Macintosh OSX supports SNMP monitoring. See System Requirements.
SNMP sets are organized using two folder trees in the middle pane, underneath Private and Shared cabinets. Use the following options to manage objects in these folder trees:
- Folder Properties - Display the name, description, and owner of a folder, and your access rights to the a folder.
- (Apply Filter) - Enter text in the filter edit box, then click the funnel icon to apply filtering to the folder trees. Filtering is case-insensitive. Match occurs if filter text is found anywhere in the folder trees.
When a Folder is Selected
When a Monitor Set is Selected
- Delete Monitor Set - Deletes the selected procedure.
Creating SNMP Sets
- Select a folder in the middle pane.
- Click the New SNMP Set button.
- Enter a name.
- Enter a description.
- Select an SNMP type from the Automatic deployment to drop-down list. If a LAN Watch detects this type of SNMP device the system automatically begins monitoring the SNMP device using this SNMP set.
- Select a group alarm category from the Group Alarm Column Name drop-down list. User defined group alarm column names are maintained using the Monitor Lists page. Group alarms display on the Dashboard List page.
- Click Save. The Define SNMP Set window displays.
Note: Sample SNMP sets do not display in the Assign SNMP > Select SNMP Set drop-down list. Create a copy of a sample SNMP set by selecting the sample set in SNMP Sets and clicking the Save As button. Your copy of the sample SNMP set will display in the drop-down list. In the SaaS version of the VSA, Save and Save As buttons are available. You can make changes to the sample set and use it immediately, because it does not get refreshed.